Trenton, N.J. – Interim Police Director Steve E. Wilson today announced several recent weapon and drug enforcement actions carried out by TPD in a three-day period that resulted in the seizure of six handguns, multiple high-capacity magazines and rounds of ammunition, more than 100 narcotics doses, and about $20,000 in cash.
- Michael Lamont Gibbs, 48, of Trenton, was arrested on Aug. 12, 2021 during a search warrant carried out by TPD SWAT on Franklin Street. Gibbs was charged with multiple counts of unlawful gun possession, drug possession with intent to distribute, and unlawful possession of a high-capacity magazine after officers discovered two handguns – including one that was allegedly stolen – along with heroin, crack cocaine, and $1,213 in cash.
- Malik J. White, 21, and Jaheim S. Hairston, 18, both of Trenton, were arrested on Aug. 13, 2021 and each charged with illegal gun possession and multiple heroin possession and distribution charges following a TPD Street Crimes Unit investigation on Jersey Street. After detectives allegedly saw White and Hairston discard a red handbag inside a parked vehicle, they stopped both suspects and called in a K-9 unit that confirmed narcotics inside the vehicle. Officers found a 9mm handgun, 110 decks of heroin, multiple rounds of ammunition and two ski masks inside the bag.
- Nay’Sean Byrd, 19, of Trenton, was arrested on Aug. 14, 2021 and charged with unlawful possession of a weapon after Street Crimes Unit detectives found a 9mm handgun with a high-capacity magazine during a traffic stop in the area of Pearl Street and Hudson Street.
- Kyle D. Downing-Spady, 41, and Marcus Smith, 34, of Trenton, were arrested on Aug. 14, 2021 and charged with unlawful weapon possession after Street Crimes Unit detectives conducted a motor vehicle stop in the area of Stuyvesant Avenue and Whittlesey Avenue. During the stop, detectives allegedly saw ammunition and a black handgun in plain view. They also discovered a black plastic box containing $19,377 in cash.
- Alisha Rivera, 29, of Trenton, was arrested on Aug. 14, 2021 after Street Crimes Unit detectives responded to a reported street fight near New York Avenue. Upon arriving in the area, detectives were flagged down and directed to Rivera who was allegedly seen in possession of a gun. When stopped by TPD detectives, Rivera was found with .40 Caliber handgun and ammunition.
“We’re stepping up street crime enforcement where we see the most activity and get the most community complaints, which has led to marked success in taking illegal weapons and dangerous drugs off the street before they can hurt our residents,” said Director Wilson. “As always, our residents are tremendously helpful. If you see something, say something.”
The TPD Shooting Response Team is still investigating a shooting that took place on Tuesday evening across the street from Championship Bar on Chambers Street. Detectives discovered that six rounds struck the bar building, but no one was hurt. The bar is closing due to outstanding ABC issues. Anyone with information pertaining to this incident is encouraged to contact the anonymous TPD tip line at 609-989-DRUG.
The Mercer County Homicide Task Force and the Trenton Police Department are also investigating a shooting homicide in Trenton that took place Aug. 19, 2021. Anyone with related information is asked to contact Detective John Menafra of the Mercer County Homicide Task Force at (609) 989-6406. Information can also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
These charges and allegations are merely accusations, and the defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.