Trenton Water Works is advising residents in Trenton, Hamilton Township, Ewing Township, and Lawrence Township, and Hopewell Township to boil your water until further notice. Chlorination levels (a water disinfection process) are too low due to an equipment malfunction in TWW’s water-distribution system. TWW personnel are working to rectify the problem.
As a precaution, TWW is implementing a Boil Water Advisory until testing of the water supply is deemed satisfactory.
Effective immediately and until further notice residents in Trenton, Hamilton Township, Ewing Township, Lawrence Township, and Hopewell Township are instructed to bring tap water to a rolling boil for one minute and allow the tap water to cool before using, or use bottled water. Boiled or bottled water should be used for drinking; preparing foods; mixing baby formula, food, juices or drinks; washing vegetables and fruit; cooking; making ice; brushing teeth; and washing dishes until further notice. Boiling kills bacteria and other organisms in the water.
The following measures are also recommend:
- Discard uncooked food, beverages, or ice cubes made with tap water during the day of the advisory.
- Keep boiled water in the refrigerator for drinking.
- Do not swallow water while showering or bathing.
- Rinse hand-washed dishes with a diluted bleach solution (one tablespoon of household bleach per gallon of tap water) or clean your dishes in a dishwasher using the hot wash cycle and dry cycle.
- Do not use home filtering devices in place of boiling or using bottled water; most home water filters will not provide adequate protection from microorganisms
- Only boiled water to treat minor injuries.
- Provide pets with drinking water that has been boiled (and cooled).
Please continue to boil your water or use bottled water until you are notified that the water quality is satisfactory. This advisory will remain in effect until repairs are completed and testing shows the water quality to be safe.
We are working as quickly as possible to restore your water quality. If you have any questions or comments, Trenton Water Works can be reached at (609) 989-3055. You may also view our web site at trentonnj.org for further updates